The Piper J-3 Cub is a classic two-wing aircraft with an open cockpit and parasol wings. It was fitted with a Brownbach “Kitten” engine from which the Cub’s name was derived. In 1939, the J-3 Cub entered military service as a trainer plane with the Civilian Pilot Training Program. About 75% of new pilots trained with the Cubs during World War II. The military variant was painted olive green while the civilian version remains in its classic yellow drab. The J-3 Cub was produced between 1938 and 1947. Nearly 20,000 units were built in the United States and 150 in Canada.